Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Eulogies

George R.R. Martin, my favorite fantasy writer and fellow football fanatic, has written a very nice short piece about the passing of Bill Walsh on his blog. Bill Walsh, as some of you may recall, coached the San Francisco 49ers during their late '80s heyday, and is also the creator of the West Coast offense.

Also, Roger Ebert wrote an excellent eulogy for film director Ingmar Bergman, whose work inspired filmakers from Woody Allen to David Mamet. If you haven't seen them already you owe it to yourself to check out Persona, The Seventh Seal and Fanny and Alexander. I don't always agree with Mr. Ebert's reviews, but I always read his first because his writing is so good. This piece on Bergman is no exception.

1 comment:

Seth Unger said...

This Mike Holmgren quote was EVERYWHERE today, but it still kind of chokes me up. Re: Bill Walsh, "I always said that he was an artist and all the rest of us were blacksmiths. We were pounding the anvil, while he was painting the picture."

I caught an NFL network special this on one of Walsh's Superbowl teams with the 49ers-- the guy was a frickin' genius.