Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heath Ledger, 1979 — 2008

I didn't know the guy, obviously. Never met him, wasn't likely to ever do so. But I did like him a lot.

He seemed like a nice guy.

He seemed like a smart guy.

In the movies I didn't like, I liked him in them. Like A Knight's Tale. After Monster's Ball I knew he was capable of breaking out of that group of twenty-something actors who disappear the moment they look too old to play a high school student.

I still haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. No excuse for it; just haven't gotten to it yet. It's in my Netflix queue. I think I might put it off for a while longer, though. I heard the movie was depressing enough before.

And then of course there is The Dark Knight. Hell, I've got a picture of the guy as the background on my desktop at work. I didn't think of it like that; I thought I had a picture of the Joker up there. But it's different now, somehow. And it was supposed to be a trilogy, too. I wonder what they'll do.

I hope it was an accident. Beyond that, the how's and why's are really none of my business. I just can't help but feel like we've been cheated.

In the tradition of the now-defunct Like You Really Care, a Moment of Silence for Heath Ledger:





























The New York Times ran a really nice obituary, which you can read here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping the moment of silence, ahem, alive.

I considered Heath Ledger the finest actor of his generation. He embodied characters fully, and he made challenging choices. He'll be missed.