Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Clown Stigmata

Clown Stigmata is the name of my fake band. I got the name from my friend Liz, who told me a story about a class she took in clowning. One day after class she discovered that she had an intricate pattern of bruises around her body. She mentioned it to her instructor, who congratulated her for receiving her first case of "clown stigmata." Upon hearing this story my first thought was, "That is a perfect name for a band!" And for some reason it stuck with me.

I call it a fake band because there is no band; there is just me, my guitar and my computer. It's a hobby. Were I taking it more seriously I might say that I am to Clown Stigmata what Trent Reznor is to Nine Inch Nails, except that I have never played a show or sold a record. And I suck at writing lyrics - the vocal distortion is partly to cover the embarrassing lyrics, and partly because I think it sounds cool.

I've had a MySpace page up for a while now, but I had refrained from spreading it around too much until now. Why the change of heart? Dunno. I'm just proud of the new batch of songs I posted, and I'd like people to hear them, and I'd like to get some feedback.

So, If you're in the mood for some industrial rock with a metal edge to it, head on over to myspace.com/clownstigmata. I'd love to know what you think.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

by "base", i mean "bass"

Unknown said...

Interesting. My initial thought is that the tunes are much better than I expected (a comment not meant to offend, more about production value than songwriting). My experience listening to KMFDM, Prong and the like tends to produces a great deal of ear fatigue rather quickly due to the intensity and driving nature of the tunes. What I like about your songs is that, particularly in Bad Connection, there is breathing room and the riff doesn't continue to relentlessly pummel you for 3.5-4 minutes. I really like the bridge section of that tune where it reduces down to the base, minimal percussion and the siren-like sound. The riff is coming back but it gives the listener a chance to regroup and it builds tension. Anyway, well done.

Christopher said...

Thanks, Philip!