Friday, June 22, 2007

Elementary, My Dear Watson

Did you know that that line does not appear anywhere in any of the Sherlock Holmes stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle? The phrase originated in the 1929 film The Return of Sherlock Holmes, and was spoken by Clive Brook, the actor who played the title role. How the phrase came to be so inextricable linked with the character, I'll never know. I'll have to see the movie.

In the meantime, I will have to keep myself busy learning other Sherlock-related lines, as I have just been cast in City Lit Theatre's The Hound of the Baskervilles. We start rehearsals in a few weeks, and open the end of August. I play Dr. Mortimer, who (judging by the sides I read for the audition) is mostly responsible for the exposition. It's been about twenty years since I read the story, so I don't really know much more at this point. The script is on its way to me as we speak.

I am particularly excited about this project because I get to work with a guy named Don Bender, who will play Sherlock. He's a Chicago actor whom I've only just met at this audition, but whose work I've admired for a couple of years now. I can't wait to see him in action.

In other theater news, I saw a freakin' phenomenal play last night: The spectacularly-titled Mr. Spacky, The Man Who Was Continuously Followed by Wolves. It was written by Emily Schwartz and produced by The Strange Tree Group. Also, Mr. Spacky himself was played by a fellow named Scott Cupper, a fine actor whom I had the pleasure of directing in Rogue 8 Issue #3. Seeing Mr. Spacky was some of the most fun I've had watching theater in years. Sadly, the show closes tomorrow night, and if last night was any indication it will be totally sold out. But keep your eyes and ears open for this company in the future. They do some amazing stuff.

Lastly, a group of us are gathering at a local bar tonight to bid farewell to a couple of friends (or friends who are a couple, however you want to phrase it) who are making the trek out to Los Angeles to seek their fortunes. So long Chris and Jen! You will be missed. We are going to try and carry on the tradition of movie days without you. Although it will be nice to have a place to crash when Mandy and I decide to see LA for ourselves.

No comments: